This message is from: Karen McCarthy <weeg...@hotmail.com>

Laurie, I totally understand about what the saddle fitter is telling you about
the Fallis saddle. I have ridden in one (my friend has a nice older one for
her QH) and they are different in that you get a truer seat position, not too
chair-like and built up so you get behind the motion as most other western
saddles tend to.The stirrups hang under you and the saddles are rigged
differently w/ less bulk. But I digress. I think for most fjords, IF you are
going 'traditional' western, unless the saddle is custom made, and that means
from the tree up, that you will never get a 100% good fit. I know because I
worked w/ a really good saddle maker ( Rick Ricotti) to make my saddle (wow,
has it been over 20 years ago??!! OMG.) Rick also happened to be a very good
civil engineer and was really into getting the tree to fit. Took us 3 attempts
at sending the tree back + forth w/ the tree guy in Utah. This is not for the
faint of heart as yes it will cost you. But the good thing is I still ride in
that saddle and it fits 97% of what I ride, even non-fjords. Its also kept a
good value should I ever part with it (no).
Here's what we did:
1. Shortened the bars - in standard trees bars are too long and are the most
responsible aspect for "bridging"
2. the bars need to curve more to fit through the back
3. the ends of the bars need flaring also called "rocking" @ each end, esp. in
the front to allow a wider stance/gullet.
Anyways, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's just what I know
from experience.
Maybe go all english?
Good luck,
Karen in Oregon