This message is from: laurie with <livingi...@q.com>

On Jun 12, 2011, at 8:42 AM, fjordhorse-digest wrote:

> My mare Gaven has very tender feet

boy, can we relate to the tender feet issue. my guy oz goes through
this every spring, and it was especially bad this year because here in
minnesota we had a monsoon season rather than spring. i think it
rained for 6 weeks straight. he was very sore, to the point of calling
out the vet to do xrays to see if something else is going on.

thank goodness for my very patient and available farrier (how many
will shoe a horse while said horse is using his back as a headrest
while he sleeps in the cross ties). we determined his heels were sore
and first tried aluminum egg bar shoes with a slight lift. not bad,
except oz lost one in both of the pastures he was in this spring.
amazingly i found one 3/4s buried in a muddy foot print in the far
corner of one pasture. there is still a reward out for the other one.

after the vet check we did determine he needed more lift in the heels,
so he is now in regular shoes with a plastic lift which protects the
frog. he is doing super.

however, as far as the softness, on the recommendation of my farrier
we tried Durasole. it's a liquid which is spread on the sole, first
daily for a week, then as a monthly touch up. we started it after we
did the round shoes and his feet were still very soft. when the
farrier returned after the vet visit, he was astounded on how much
harder the hooves were, even in such a short time. that stuff really
worked.

i am also really pleased the the vet and farrier spoke with each other
about oz's problems and worked together to help get him sound again.
we have a very talented young rider at my barn who rode him the other
day and cantered the crap out of him. it was one of the best canters
i've seen him do, and his soreness issues were gone.

laurie, and oz the wonder pony, who can easily be seen in the pasture
with his neon orange bell boots