From: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: Training the One-rein
stop?

This message is from: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>

On
1/30/2012 9:35 PM, Julia Webb wrote:
> Any differences with installing that
one-rein
> stop/disengagement of the hind-quarters with Fjords?   I'm not the
best rider
> in the world, but as a thinking adult beginner, I've had many
teachers, all of
> which (to some degree or another) made sure I knew how to
A) Get off a moving
> horse as safely as possible, and B) Train that one-rein
stop.
This was Buck Brannaman's advice, many years ago during a colt starting
clinic I was in, about teaching the one-rein halt..."Make it [the halt]
soothing place to be,"...so the horse gets security from it rather
than being
just a means of control.

So, I don't think it is just about "flex, flex,
flex." Sometimes if you
try to teach a Fjord to flex "roboticly" (like some
clinicians) you can
teach the horse to fear and brace against the one-rein
halt. Often, with
a Fjord, one needs to break down a movement or request into
smaller
steps to help it understand what you want. Teach it to yield
laterally
to the bit (or, preferably to the halter) slightly first, then
graduate
to adding neck flexion, then add the disengagement.

The rider's
seat position and balance are also crucial in a one-rein
halt. The rider's
balance should be somewhat over the outside hip, but
deep and grounded in the
seat of the saddle, rather than what the body
wants to do naturally, which is
lean over the inside shoulder, weight
out of the seat and over the rider's
legs. Unfortunately, when the
weight of the rider is over the shoulders, it
makes the horse's weight
fall onto the forehand and the horse could lose its
balance, falling
over its own front feet. A scary situation for both horse
and rider.

Fjords can have very strong necks, but setting that neck always
starts
with /mental/ strength or bracing. Under normal circumstances (meaning
the horse is comfortable with the situation, etc.) their necks are
extremely
supple. In fact, I have found them to be extremely supple
throughout their
entire bodies! I have taught, and continue to teach,
many Fjords (and other
horses) to do a "one rein halt" /without/ reins,
essentially teaching them to
disengage when I "touch the hindquarter
button" (my students will understand
this! ;-) When you have that...you
really have a connection that can be very
reliable.

Having said that, a horse that is truly afraid and is a true
runaway
cannot be bent with any amount of force, Fjord or otherwise. One had
chose whether to ride it out or jump off. If you ride it out, you have
wait until the horse "peaks" to try to make any effect with a one
rein halt.
Make that one-rein halt your horse's "little happy place" and you should
have
a tool that is reliable for both you and your horse.

Beth

--
Beth Beymer
and Sandy North