This message is from: "Debby" <miss.am...@earthlink.net>

I’d not had any of my fjords ever be trippy.  I did have an older retired
hunt horse that came to me that way, in fact the previous caretakers told me
to take care of his tripping.  At that time, I really had little knowledge.  I
rode him sitting forward I’m sure, adding more weight to his frontend, which
didn’t help him.  And he tripped and I went down, two different occasions.
Both times wearing a helmet but mostly flipped and hurt by rearend.  I still
have some hip issues now and then.
I’d never heard of one tripping because he’s doing circles.  Could be its
too small of a circle and asking for too much speed.  Could be the footing is
too thick.  Could be the toes are too long.
I don’t want to knock farriers.  Its most important for the owner to know
what the feet should look like after being trimmed/shod.  The owner needs to
know angles and what is right for each horse.  And then hope and pray their
farrier is open to discussion and working with them.  Not easy to do a lot of
times.
I’ve had great farriers and had some bad ones, right now I’m in a location
where I’d not let one within 20miles of me run a nail through anyone.

A good farrier, that does a great job, explains angles and can fix or help
with some issues, that farrier will tell you there are a lot of bad farriers
out there.  I’d had a great farrier some time ago and he and a vet both told
me that farriers do a lot more damage than they’d be willing to admit.  For
me, when I’ve started with a new farrier, it seems the first trip goes well,
the horses feet are good, as they were good to begin with.  But then by the
3rd trip I can see angles that I’m not happy with, things are changing in
the trim, longer toes very typical.  Terrible balance, shorter heel on the
inside compared to the outside.  A mistake will take several trips from a good
farrier to fix, at least.

Hope the one that has the trippy horse will not only have a farrier look but
have a vet do a lameness check, not that the horse is lame, but could be other
issues going on.
Debby in Tx
p.s. one thing I always try to remember to do before a farrier trip, clip back
the hairs around the coronary band, getting a good look at length and how the
line around the top of the hoof looks.  Gives a good picture of the whole foot
to the farrier.