This message is from: Bonnie Morris <morrisshado...@aol.com>

Hello everyone

This has been an issue that I have discussed with a few vets and other horse
owners.    I have a mare (not fjord).   When she was born she did not get any
colostrum.   For some reason mom did not produce any.   The foal had to be on
antibiotics for the firsts 2 months.    When she was a year old she came down
with a runny nose witch turned very quickly into ammonia.    She pulled thru
with massive doses of antibiotics.    At this point the vets had not noticed
anything unusual with her heart.   She was fine until I started her as a 3
year old.    She started panting and got a temp.  This was only after very
light work.   I had the vet out and she said that she had a murmur ,   was put
on antibiotics again for 2 months.   After that I worked with her very slowly.
She got stronger.   I have tried her a couple of time on the trail, but she
gets too tired and short of breath, so she just gives small children lessons
in the arena and that is her job.    She has never been easy to keep weight
on.     She is now 14 years old and has not had any other illness requiring
vet care, but I know her limitations and do not exceed them.   On her last
check up the vet said that it was strange that her heart beats faster than
normal when at rest.    I would never breed her.    I believe she was born
that way and it did not show up until she had to do more physical work.  I am
glad I did not put her down as she is one of my best lessons horses for young
children.

Bonnie Morris

Rain and more rain  in Western, WA

>> Hi everyone, I've been off the list for a long time, it seems, but reading
it
egularly.  Have been way to much time working and travelling, to my liking.
owever, I thought the post about blood values was a good segue into asking the
ist about who has met up with heart murmurs in their Fjords or other breeds.
his is perhaps my 5th time at trying to send this message, issues with getting
he address right and I'm hoping this will do it.  Thanks to Steve for his
atience and advice.