This message is from: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>

On 2/19/2012 9:33 PM, John & Eunice Bosomworth wrote:
Cheryl said: >> Has anyone out there bred a foal with a heart condition, or bought a fjord only to find that he/she has one? >>

Do you think that there are many fjord breeders who actually have their foals checked for heart murmurs?

All of our foals receive a "well baby" exam which includes a blood test to make sure they received enough colostrum, an exam of all of the orifices to make sure they are in working order, and our vet listens to their heart and lungs.

To date, only one of our Fjord foals had a questionable murmur, which went away with maturity.

We only have one or two foals per year. I imagine that perhaps some farms that have a lot of foals per year, or that don't have easy access to veterinary care, don't have all of their foal examined soon after birth.

Beth

--
Beth Beymer and Sandy North
Starfire Farm, LLC