This message is from: kelly <ke...@landsdrop.com>

I live in South Texas, where this heat is unpleasant, but typical. I have a Fjord and a Percheron that were bought up north and brought down here. They handle the heat just fine after a little TLC the first summer. My vet recommended giving them either electrolytes or a beer in their feed on days when it's been extremely hot or they sweat a lot. The perch loves the beer. I try to put their hay in the shade so they don't have to stand out in the sun unless they want to. They will go under the trees for the hottest part of the day.

The few times I've had to put them in a stall during the day, I've noticed that the flies are merciless. If they want to stand inside, no problem, but I like to let them have options.

good luck.  --Kelly (Bandera, Texas)