This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

>From this description below, it appears good trimming is important.   Gail

"How Does Ringbone Occur?

Riding With Ringbone

I personally own and ride a horse that has high ringbone. Although he is no
longer a performance horse, I still ride him on trail and he is very
comfortable because I give him what he needs. He responded very well to
extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT), but became lame again when I stopped
riding during the winter rains. I will do another ESWT treatment on him to see
if I can make him more comfortable. He has had joint injections, and I give him
Legend I.V. and Adequan I.M. regularly.

Initially he had a small bone spur on his pastern joint that turned into
significant ringbone over the course of about three years. His current bony
changes haven’t progressed over the last two years. On the whole this is very
typical for this disease. He has been a great lesson for me on how to manage
ringbone, how to manage the owner and that a horse with this disease can still
have a good quality of life.
—Janice Posnikoff, DVM

The most common cause of ringbone is abnormal stress on the joint, causing
joint surface damage and subsequent bony development. The abnormal stress can
be in the form of poor conformation, imbalanced shoeing or working on poor
ground surfaces. Base-narrow or base-wide conformation, combined with a toed-in
or toed-out stance, creates increased weight-bearing forces on the inside or
outside of the joint by causing the horse to land first on the outside or
inside of the leg. These increased forces can cause microdamage to the
cartilage on the joint surface and microtearing of the joint capsule or of the
collateral ligaments (stabilizing ligament on either side of the joint). The
body reacts to this microdamage initially as inflammation. Inflammatory cells
release toxins that create more tissue damage and thin the joint fluid. More
tissue damage creates more inflammatory cells, and a cycle begins of increasing
damage. As the damage increases the body attempts to heal initially !
 with scar tissue, which then progresses into bony development.
The length of time it takes for this to occur varies and is dependent on many
factors. The more trauma, and the more severe the conformational abnormalities,
the quicker the disease progresses. Hoof balance, proper trimming and shoeing,
footing and exercise are very big factors in this disease. Unbalanced hooves,
as well as long toe/low heel, can cause severe stress on the joints. Shoeing a
horse with shortened toes to increase breakover decreases the stress on the
joints and helps reduce the inflammation, and can help slow the development of
disease. Hard footing increases trauma on the joints, while deep footing
increases the flexion of the joints leading to possible overflexion and damage
to the joint capsule. "