From: ron&saskia <rbd...@accesscomm.ca>
Subject: Hello from Canada
To: fjordhorse-dig...@angus.mystery.com
Date: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 8:53 PM

This message is from: "ron&saskia" <rbd...@accesscomm.ca>

Hi everyone,
I just want to introduce myself. My name is Saskia, I live in Saskatchewan,
and I own 2 horses. One is a 7 year old Fjord horse mare, Freya , and the
other one is Flicka,  a pony mare of almost 9 years old,  that looks like a
New Foundland pony.
I bought Flicka green broke 6 years ago, and she’s my riding horse since
then. She’s a sweetheart and very reliable.

I bought Freya, my fjord horse untrained. In fact she was never handled. The
only thing that was done with her was chasing her into a chute 2 times a
year,
where she would be tied up so they could shave her mane. She was never
touched
by a farrier so her feet were very neglected. When I got her, she was a very
scared mare, didn’t trust people. But I worked almost daily with her and
won
her trust. It took me 6 months to get her ready for a farrier so he could
take
care of her (cow) feet. So in a way you can say she’s a rescue horse.

Freya has a bolting problem, developed after I send her to a regular trainer
that I thought was a good trainer. She started to bolt during the 5 weeks in
training, probably caused by too much pressure and the pain of a bit,  and
when she came back home, she was changed from a calm horse into this nervous
horse that thought she had to run all the time. On our 3rd ride she bolted on
me and jumped my wire fence. I fell off and lucky got only hurt a little,
Freya was ok. I left her in pasture for 6 weeks after that, then re-trained
her with the courses of Leslie Pavlich. Since then she never bolted on me
again and I could ride her again in a calm walk and since last summer we are
even going into trot without running off. Plus I never put a bit in her mouth
again. I ride her in a bitless bridle.  We take little steps but that’s
ok.
I’m not in a rush. I just enjoy our journey.

I got to this list because of Rovena, who owns a mule and a fjord horse. I
think it’s great to have contact with other fjord horse owners and exchange
our experiences with our beautiful fluffy equines.
Saskia Dockrill

FH_L Shirts: http://tinyurl.com/8yky94l