This message is from: Diana Calder <dcal...@gmail.com>

For saddle - we've had good luck with Australian saddles. One was an eBay
purchase (maker unknown) that I pretty much got lucky with, fitwise. The
other is a Down Under Longreach
Endurance<http://www.downunderweb.com/store/Saddles_Aussie_DownUnder.html>.
Down Under Saddlery
http://www.downunderweb.com recommended a couple of options, based on the
withers tracings that I faxed them. They will custom-fit but a standard fit
turned out just fine for both my Fjords. We use both a breastcollar and a
crupper, just in case, but I don't think either has ever actually had to
"earn its keep". We use wool pads from Down Under with the saddles. We have
Down Under's wool seat-savers on both saddles. The Longreach gets more use
than the no-name because it's a bigger seat size and has been a better fit
for both my dad and me in recent years but I could probably comfortably use
the other one again. Both are leather but the Longreach is much lighter and
easier to handle. The girth on it is different and buckles English-style. I
love the security of Aussie saddles - I'm not a great rider by any means
but I've never felt in any danger of coming out of the saddle during
Donnie's ten-feet-sideways startle when a pheasant flies out of the
fencerow into his face - if I'd been in a bareback pad during one of those,
I'd have been on the ground.

For bitless bridles - I've used a Nurtural Bitless Bridle with both of our
Fjords a few times - one of our local carriage club members organized a
demo and we bought one when we attended. Donnie went quite well in it
during a time when he just wouldn't stop playing with (and getting his
tongue over) a bit of any type. Once he got past that little phase, we
didn't use the bitless again. We drive more than ride and it wasn't worth
the hassle of getting permission to use it in driving classes and we didn't
want to use something at home that we couldn't at a show. We just didn't
see a big enough difference in bitless versus bitted to make it worthwhile.
If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell it - it's basically like-new
because it had so little usage (maybe 20-30 times?).