This message is from: laurie with <livingi...@q.com>

i have always kept skylar outside 24/7, and she thrives on it. someone saw her
napping the other day, lying down in the snow. silly girl. she has the typical
yak hair that they get in the winter.

the barn i am at changed hands last fall, and though we thought it would be a
good change, it’s turned out to be anything but. almost everyone that i knew
there has already left, and the new owner is the main reason. he and his wife,
who has been battling breast cancer took over, and even though HE promised big
changes, it’s not happening. there has been a revolving door of workers,
trainers, barn managers, boarders, etc., because he finds problems with
everyone he hires. he has told boarders to get out RIGHT NOW if they do
something he doesn’t like. and though he claims to love horses, it’s mostly his
own that he cares about. the stalls are not bedded well, water has frozen in
the outdoor tanks, some of the fencing doesn’t work, etc. etc. he is a bully, a
liar, and is having an affair with the manager of our local Dover store! she
has her horses there, and acts like she owns the place, but she is not a nice
person. the owner’s wife has filed divorce papers, so who knows wha!
 t’s going to happen.

i know, it’s sounds like a soap opera. i come in sometimes and there is nobody
there, and most of the stalls are empty. we used to have a lot of very talented
kids and teens who rode there, but they are all gone. the ones that stayed
left, because their kids all heard about the behavior of the owner because they
go to school together. almost every local barn knows about it, because the
horse community here in the minneapolis area is very interconnected.

i like the facility, large indoor and outdoor, close to home. but the
atmosphere has become toxic and it’s affecting the horses.

i have found a small, private place, about 5 miles farther away, with a 1200
foot driveway, so the horses aren’t right up to the road, like they are where i
am. the barn is heated, with automatic waterers, they custom feed the horses
with what they need. i think there are maybe 10 stalls. they grow their own hay.

 it’s owned by a woman about my age and her husband, and her daughter runs it.
the daughter has shown horses in the pinto/paint circuit (she knows kristin
lee), and went to school for equine management. she teaches, but lessons are
not required. there is no outdoor, but the property is large, and a local park
with trails is close by. it would force me to learn to be comfortable away from
the arena, which is one of my little fears. there is a nice group of middle
aged women who board there, and the owners live right there. they come down in
the evening and do a bed check, or is that stall check?

the only down side is that there is only indoor board. i have always thoughts
our fjords do better outside, but am thinking this is a much better atmosphere
for skylar.

any input?

laurie with
livingi...@q.com