This message is from: mabo...@aol.com

I am replying to Amy Evers' comment on the parade matter.  Amy, I am sorry
that you received no support when your group entered a major parade.  The hurt
is palpable in your post.  I do understand your concerns about the Rose Parade
and now the organizing for the Pegasus Parade.

I've never served on the NFHR BOD, but I have known many people who have and I
have been active in NFHR's committee structure.  I also serve as a volunteer
for my local dressage and combined training organization.  I handle their
fundraising among other things.  I can tell you that most horse organizations
are small and run on very limited operating funds.  That would be the case for
the NFHR certainly.  It was in pretty precarious financial shape a few years
back and really made a turn around thanks to the BOD.  It is my understanding
that the BOD did not fund the Rose Parade entry; it was fundraised for
separately and if they hadn't raised the money, they wouldn't have entered.  I
see that the Pegasus Parade is seeking a Fjord unit for 2015; again, the
organization and fundraising is going to have to come from the participants
and their supporters.  It is not an NFHR funded activity.

I do agree that if NFHR is going to fund local activities, whether it is a
parade, a show, whatever then there needs to be an open and transparent
process to apply for a grant.  My DCTA has limited funds, but we offer a small
number of grants each year to help constituencies who want to do something
special, like attend a team horse trial.  It sounds like that in the past this
process may not have been in place.  I think things have changed at the NFHR
in recent years and for the better.

I can't undo the past. I certainly understand your hurt feelings; I probably
would have felt the same.  I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to bring them
forward because a fair and open process in support of membership activities is
important.  I would like to see more groups of Fjord owners doing things in
public with their horses, whether it is on a local, regional or national
level.  Let's see what we can do to make it happen!

Margaret Bogie
Ironwood Farm
Rixeyville, VA