The difference can either be small or from 200-300 K. Is adding welch to libflac a good idea? Would you like access to any of the files?

At 08:17 AM 9/29/2022, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
Op di 27 sep. 2022 om 17:10 schreef Michael D. Lawler <<mailto:mdlaw...@lawlers.us>mdlaw...@lawlers.us>: These are all 44.1kHz and adding -b 4608 helped, but ffmpeg still does better than flac for this handful of files.

Then I think the remaining difference might be in the apodization used by ffmpeg. I think ffmpeg uses a welch window, whereas libFLACÂ uses a rather complicated arrangement of brute-forcing various windows approaches, not including welch.

If that is not it, I presume the file size differences in these files are very small?

Michael D. Lawler
email mailto:mdlaw...@lawlers.us