I think that flex is a developer friendly environment and flash is not.

By that I mean, for one thing, that flex is built around the eclipse
environment, which is the gold standard for developers. Macromedia
wanted to grow the community. That meant designing a tool that would
appeal to rank and file developers. That meant making a new more
programmer friendly (like eclipse or MS Visual Studio) environment.

I dont think you can make the flash IDE look enough like a programmer
friendly environment to get your typical java or MS developer to like
it.

I code in Java and Flash and for me, Flex is heaven.

I dont think they were 80% or 90% there as a programmer friendly
development tool. I think if you become familiar with the kinds of
tools java and c# developers use, you wouldnt say that. They are miles
apart.

That said, I do think that some of the things in flex can/should
migrate to the flash IDE. I think flex builder and mxml can be done in
a designer friendly way. Just look at Dreamweaver. But, while
Macromedia is a big company, they could not develop two totally
different metaphors at the same time. Flex took a lot of work and a
long time to get right. Once they are done (which is still 6 or so
months away) I suspect some of the things will end up in the Flash
IDE. But it is not reasonable to expect they could do all this at
once. What they have done so far is amazing work.

Regards
Hank