that ought to be done with the class flash.display.BitmapData
Like this for loop you could pass it an array cwith rgb and even alpha values.
The filesizes off the strings will be as big or bigger as bmp op png24 !

var canvas = new flash.display.BitmapData(50,50,true);
for ( var y:Number=0; y<50; y++ ) {
       for ( var x:Number=0; x<50; x++ ) {
               var alfa:Number = y*5;
               var red:Number = x*5;
               var green:Number = 250-(x*5);
               var blue:Number = 250-(y*5);
               var col:Number = (alfa<<24)|(red<<16)|(green<<8)|(blue<<0);
               canvas.setPixel32(x,y,col)

_root.createEmptyMovieClip("bmp", 1);
_root.bmp.attachBitmap(canvas, 2);

--->
And then you will realise soon enough that you will need something like this:
(didn't test this myself though)
http://www.razorberry.com/blog/archives/2004/08/22/lzw-compression-methods-in-as2/

Regards,
Latcho

Chris Wilson wrote:
Good to know that's possible.  How would you take the binary string and have
flash treat it as a graphic?

-Chris