The Command pattern is a true design pattern, while MVC is an architectural
pattern. It's difficult to explain how one could be used in place of the
other because the Command pattern can be used inside an MVC
design/architecture. Similarly, MVC can be used inside a Command.

I believe Brent's original question dealt with using MVC triads throughout
an application design. I felt he was on the right track understanding the
need to separate model from view, but could benefit from using the Command
pattern to encapsulate actions. It would lessen the complexity (and thus
improve the scalability) of his application.

It's for this reason I suggested ARP. ARP has a good implementation of the
Command pattern. Rather than redesign his own framework, Brent could benefit
from using one that has a good community around it.

Model-View-Controller
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_view_controller

Command Pattern
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_pattern