I would say to hell with the VB coders (and I used to be one). What if you want to change your implementation later on? What if this functionality changes with AS3? Without an API, you open yourself up to all sorts of fun stuff that may force the user to have to change their code later on. Be nice to yourself and to your users. You'll be happier in the end, and your guilt will be assuaged (rightly so)! And when was the last time that VB/VBScript catered to anyone in the Java, JavaScript, or ActionScript world? They use completely different syntax, so don't fret about it.

Nathan
http://www.nathanderksen.com