I've done a lot or search/research on this subject and here some
results:

1) there's no way to 100% protect your swf :-(

> --- bryan.rice wrote:
>Try Flasm.

2) Yes.
The only quite reliable way is to add bytecode that can't be generated
in Flash IDE. It doesn't have to be "logical impossibilities",
sometimes optimization with Flasm is enough to "obfuscate" the
decompiler. Besides, such optimization results in great improvemets in
performance and your knowledge too. Carefully read Flasm instructions
to start.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to all of most interesting
decompilers in which I'd like to test my "defense efforts" (first is
ASV, of course).
All I used to do in my experiments is adding some bytecode, testing
and then trying to decompile with Flare (free tool).

3) As to obfuscators themselves, I believe it's just a matter of time
to remove this from code with search/replace, if someone have a strong
desire to read your code.
Besides, if "obfuscated" and decompiled code is still working, it's not
necessary to
make it "readable" in most cases.

4) Don't want to hurt anyone, but I'd not recommend using trial etc.
versions of obfuscation/encoding  programs .
>urami_ is right:
> All the obfuscation is dangerous and can stop your files from working.
As for me, I prefer use my own hands to have full control over my code.

It would be great to collaborate in this direction (dream :-).

--
Best regards,
 GregoryN