ExternalInterface requires Flash 8, it won't compile back to v7.

You can use the integration kit just fine. There is a distinction between extending an open source project and using it as a library. In this case, you are using it unmodified as a library, which does not require you to make your whole project open source. You are thinking of the GPL, while when using an open source project as a library would be covered instead under the LGPL, the "lesser" GPL. In the case of this kit, the license is much more lenient than either the GPL or the LGPL. The license for the integration kit can be seen at http://weblogs.macromedia.com/flashjavascript/license.txt

Nathan
http://www.nathanderksen.com