Has anyone experienced an interval stopping sounds?

I made a basketball game where I have an interval
which creates random flashes of light on the stage.
When the user misses or gets a ball in, a sound is
initiated, which is totally unrelated to the interval.
Gradually the flashes of light gets faster and faster
-- in other words, I first clear the flash interval
and then reset the interval with a smaller millisecond
value. As this value approaches 1 millisecond (I know,
that's pretty fast), this interval starts interfering
with the sounds, which are unrelated to this interval.
The sounds would be initiated by the user's shooting
of the ball and almost as soon as the sound starts, it
prematurely stops.

What's happening here? Why is this happening?

thanks in advance!