I've heard a lot about flex are there any sites/app's on the net which
offer a good impression of what the platform is capable of?

I have taken the time to watch a few of the video on the
adobe/macromedia site but as there isn't a build of flex for osx I
haven't been able to test drive it to get a better impression, but I
would like to think Adobe might look at resolving this at somepoint
you never know :)

Stefan