In the last few days, I've seen a handful of people refer
apologetically to use of the _global object.  To paraphrase:  "I'm in a
situation where I have to use _global variables," or, "We all know _global
is a no-no, but I'm tempted to use it in this one weird case," etc.  In
general, this gives me the impression that it's fashionable here to think of
_global as Evil -- or in the very least, yucky.

        I understand why _root can be troublesome, especially in conjunction
with dynamically loaded SWFs, but I do use it in a pinch.  I mean, heck,
sometimes a movie is just a movie, not a portable app.

        What I don't understand -- and I hasten to say I have no opinion on
the matter, yet -- is why _global is so shunned.  After all, _global is
exactly where AS2 classes are located.  Is this a religious issue?  Is it
because of how _global gets shared (or not?) among dynamically loaded SWFs?

David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]