I believe subversions diff can actually handle binary files. Anyway, here's
some great articles for you to check out.

Article on using subversion with Flash:
http://www.ivantodorov.com/blog/?p=28

Also, BLITZ's directory structure and file name conventions are worth reading
too:
http://www.ivantodorov.com/blog/?p=24

- Kevin