I have made a script that intends to solve this very issue. It is a single javascript file (no extra server calls to grab a file to fill the iframe, it's all done in javascript), with a method (addHistory) that adds a history entry, and a delegation pattern for history change notification. You can find it here:

http://www.unfocus.com/projects/HistoryKeeper/
http://www.unfocus.com/projects/source/

The history script only takes care of the history portion, you will have to take care of the javascript/flash communication using one of the many techniques available (my communication framework, or FlashJS, or ExternalInterface), and you will need to set up a small script that will update the flash movie when the state changes. The state will also need to be maintained by your custom Flash scripting (however it is that you build your app, I recommend MVC, and making a VC out of the history part of the app).

I am working on a History Bridge (JS side is done) to take or this, but it isn't ready for prime time yet.

Kevin N.

Wade Arnold wrote:
I have read a couple articles one from Kevin Lunch and the other from
Christian Cantrell. Both have a decent approach but neither confronts having
some sort of state in the application and also addresses the back button.
Does anyone have a link to a great way to handle this dynamically? Our
applications are dynamic and do not allow us to make an html page loaded
into a frame in order to handle this issue. Does anyone have any links or a
way to port the methods used in flex into flash?
Thanks;

Wade Arnold