I've had a lot of success with the "Code Injection" method, which I've
describe here: http://www.pasz.com/articles/workingWithFame/

You can still load external assets as needed, but you have full access to
the library of your main SWF.  It works well too if you need to create
projects that need to be compiled with *both* MTASC and Flash IDE.