As an ActionScript programmer, I personally liked this one:
http://www.neo-archaic.net/blog/2006/05/09/tooltip.htm    Simple and
effective:  No .mxp, no .fla, no super-complex code to setup, just a single
.as file to drop in.

Additionally, it seems lots of people are building super-fancy tooltips and
somehow simply "forgot" the basics(!): It must work well and behave as
"expected".

Looking at the source, it sounds like it works with or without the mx
components automagically.

B.