I'm not sure this is really a 'feature' that is missing since the problem
really boils down to OOP theory. For example, it could be argued that it is
incorrect for the country class to extend MovieClip since a country *is not*
a MovieClip but, rather,  *uses* a MovieClip for display. By this rational,
it makes more sense to extend via composition - i.e. the country class
simply gets a reference to a MovieClip that represents it's visual
manifestation. This way, the same class is used for many MovieClips.

If it was possible in AS2 and is no longer possible in AS3, I'd hope there
is a very good reason why and I'd hope that the reason has something to do
with AS becoming a more mature language and doing things in a better way.

Am I wrong?

A.