Except for course that any variables you write on the stage aren't available
inside classes...

I guess the solution would be to figure out what 'this' is on the stage.

Doing trace(this); gives [object Timeline0_f07ac19cdfe1944b8711232f8d557a]
(with a different hash every time).

This isn't the flash.display.Stage object... anyone know what it is?