Hello Wade,

All component's assets will be "downloaded" in any case, especially is
you use compiled clips.

But there's one little thing:
in published movie, the libraries of component and host movie are
joined.

So, if your component uses "Symbol_1" from it's own library, but host
movie has it's own version of "Symbol_1", component will use the
latter.
This allows us to skin components :-).

For you task, I can suggest that you provide  a list of assets (open
FLA or just list of names - your choice) you'd like users to edit.
Then, in published movie, user's version of asset(s) will be used.

--
Best regards,
 GregoryN