the short answer is you probably just need to give the embed tag an Id attribute.

the long answer is: why can't you use an object tag? that makes absolutely no sense at all.

even more: you should be using a Javascript solution like SWFObject anyway, since that will skip the 'click to activate' stuff and handle your plugin detection and all that for you.