I can't necessarily vouch for the "Fuse" part of the Fuse / Zigo engine, but I can say that in certain circumstances, the Zigo tween engine will perform more smoothly than the mx Tween class. The mx Tween class is based entirely on frames to generate the animation, and will (at the expense of performance) render all of the frames as you specify them. The Zigo engine on the other hand uses a time- based system which will only play through as many frames necessary to complete your animation. The benefit of Zigo is that you can change the framerate of your movie, and it will drop/add frames to play to your specified duration. However in certain circumstances, you may want frame-level control over your animation, where the mx Tween class would be a better choice.

Hope that helps...

-Danro