Just knowing that
the object is populated before the constructor is called and that those
properties take precedence over my class explains a lot.  Now I'm much
better prepared to handle what remoting throws at me :)

Accidentally hit the wrong key combo and sent the previous mail before i was finished....here it is again..in all its glory..

great...

I think thats one part of remoting where they could have done something slightly
more clever. Even if they added some configuration possibilities to the player
like a flag for Remoting.callConstructorFirst if you want you objects created in a 'normal' way, maybe at the expense of performance and Remoting.useAccessors which could use both types of accessor. (get x and getX)

They could be set to default to what they are now, but at least you would have options to turn the remoting deserialization (and local shared objects) into something that behaves like normal code rather than magic. :)

martin.