To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:26 PM
Subject: [FlashCoders] Images stay on memory forever?

Hello,

While doind some tests, I ran into something that seems a bit weird to me.

On stage I have two movieclips, "p1" and "p2" and a button, "btn".
Each movieclip has a big bitmap (800x600px).

The following code is on frame 1. These are the only things in my app.

var n:Number = 0;
p1._visible = false;
p2._visible = false;

btn.onRelease = function():Void {
_root["p"+n]._visible = false;
n++;
_root["p"+n]._visible = true;
So when you press the button the first movieclip appears.
When you press it again, it hides the first movieclip (p1)
and shows the second one (p2).

I run the program and watch the memory on the Task Manager:

Program executes: 8MB
Btn pressed once:  10MB
Btn pressed twice:  12MB and it stays there

And yes, if I only show p2 it goes to 10MB as well, so 12MB
is the sum of the two clip's size on memory.

So, I show p1, then hide it, but it doesn't get removed from memory.
Is that how it should behave?

Even if I removeMovieClip() the clip I'm hiding, the memory still doesn't go down.
It's Flash 8 and the movieclips are not bitmap cached.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dimitrios Bendilas