Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:32 PM
Subject: RE: [FlashCoders] Images stay on memory forever?

Setting a movieclip to invisible doesn't free up memory, nor does it
reduce processing power that anything in that clip is doing.  The only
thing it frees up is drawing power, which can help in some cases.

The Flash garbage collector is not as good as it could be and we
currently don't have any hooks into it.  It's very easy for memory waste
(as opposed to a leak) to occur when one isn't sure how it happens.

Here is a great article on Scope Chain and Memory Waste. Recommended
reading for anyone interested in memory management in Flash.
http://timotheegroleau.com/Flash/articles/scope_chain.htm

That being said, back in the Director days clients used to freak out
because Director used 99% of the CPU.  What they didn't understand was
that it would readily give up any of its processing power when anything
else needed it, but as long as it was running, it used as much available
CPU as it could to ensure it ran as smoothly as possible.  If your
client is giving you a hard time over a few thousand k of memory usage,
your project is going too well.  Slow it down and miss some milestones.
Give them something important to pester you about.  ;)

HTH!