Claus, Grant, Dave, Samuel, Jesse, Brandon etc. have been on this list since
I first joined up 6 or 7 years ago and posted several examples of
applications over the years to demonstrate the abilities of Flash. Heck even
I did a single large app with Flash 4 (Whatta pain!), 4 more with Flash 5,
and than a ton since with every other version...

The fact that you can name the pioneers (and I know who they are) is
an indication of how small the group is. A few hundred, heck even a
few thousand, is a **VERY** small number.  There are hundreds of
thousands (or perhaps millions) of people that are serious programmers
in Java that have been doing it for many years.

The one thing that I do find somewhat laughable is the necessity to state
that a CompSci background is important. For all intents and purposes, by
education I'm a designer. I spent a considerable amount of time and money
teaching myself programming theories and best practices. To say that I'm
unqualified is somewhat insulting considering the effort it took and the
passion it shows.

To be fair, I dont think they said this. I used the term to describe
the type of background they were describing. From my perspective it
doesnt require a comp sci degree, though most people without a fairly
disciplined background (self taught or otherwise) dont innately
understand a lot of concepts. But I certainly dont think you need to
sit in a classroom to learn this stuff.

Regards,
Hank