Hello,

I need a tipp for drawing an oval around a dynamic textfield with
variable line numbers and variable width? Perhaps, someone can point
me to a good tutorial dealing with such geometry questions.
The drawOval methods I am using have width and height as parameters,
but of course I can't use width and height of the textfield without a
padding. How can I calculate an i       appropriate padding?
The drawOval methods:

public function drawOval_Old(x:Number, y:Number, width:Number,
height:Number):Void
{
        movieClip.lineStyle(lw, lc, la);
        movieClip.moveTo(x,y+height/2);
        movieClip.curveTo(x,y,x+width/2, y);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+width,y,x+width, y+height/2);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+width,y+height, x+width/2, y+height);
        movieClip.curveTo(x,y+height, x, y+height/2);
}

public function drawOval(x:Number, y:Number, width:Number, height:Number):Void
{
        x+=width/2;
        y+=height/2;
        width/=2;
        height/=2;
        var j:Number = width * 0.70711;
        var n:Number = height * 0.70711;
        var i:Number = j - (height - n) * width/height;
        var m:Number = n - (width - j) * height/width;
        movieClip.lineStyle(lw, lc, la);
        movieClip.moveTo(x+width, y);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+width, y-m, x+j, y-n);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+i, y-height, x, y-height);
        movieClip.curveTo(x-i, y-height, x-j, y-n);
        movieClip.curveTo(x-width, y-m, x-width, y);
        movieClip.curveTo(x-width, y+m, x-j, y+n);
        movieClip.curveTo(x-i, y+height, x, y+height);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+i, y+height, x+j, y+n);
        movieClip.curveTo(x+width, y+m, x+width, y);
}

Thanks,
Matthias