FYI - I looked in more detail at swfobject as was suggested and the only
think I needed to pull out of it and plug into our other detection and
embedding scripts was in the catch/try statements:

axo = new ActiveXObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash");

Not specifying a version number.  Thanks to Geoff who suggested I just
pull out part of swfobject.

Re: swfobject suggestions, I think I was really trying to get down to a
"teach me to fish, don't give me a fish" kind of a thing because of our
IT requirements, but I found the code I needed so I can fish.  Thanks.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organizational Effectiveness