Rasmus wrote:

Ok.. But what if you have around 100-200 files, let's say external JPG's. Wouldn't the zip file become huge?

The reason I'm asking is, I'm making a photographers portfolio where the idea is to load thumbnails first - then start loading the high-res pictures in the background. when I need a file ASAP (..to display it to the user) I just bump it to the top of the loadQueue..

Or is something like this already built into AS 3?

You MAY have a point there.

Although, browsers usually support two simultaneous HTTP connections so you could just load the hires image while the thumbnail zip is still loading. The disadvantage is that the hires images loads slower (probably at half speed).

However, zipping thumbnails has the big advantage that you save a lot of overhead. 200 successive GET requests are no fun. Loading a zip is way faster as you only need to do one request to the server. And with FZip you have access to files while the zip is still loading.

Cheers,
Claus.

--
claus wahlers