I recind half of what I said after actually thinking about it, but
maybe it's a different perspective ;)

On 12/14/06, Jordan Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To dodge your question, couldn't you just use the simple distance
forumula to determine the base even when it's not horizontal?  I dont'
know much about your application or if you'll have the points where
the triangle's points lie, but that's just an idea.

Oh, but I just thought of something from my old rusty brain.  I looked
at the formula on the mathworld page; would that not indicate a
distributive method of multiplication?  Again, rusty, but a thought.

Let us know what you figure out!!

Cheers

On 12/14/06, Merrill, Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure the area of a triangle in Actionscript using the
> perimeter values only, not the traditional simple formula:
>
>      area = (height/2)*base
>
> because figuring the height is tricky given the triangle will be drawn
> in odd ways (i.e. a not horizontally alinged base), so I am exploring
> other triangle area forumulas that only take in the perimiter values
> (a,b,c), like Heron's formula or this one, which I like:
>
> given a,b,c are the length of the sides of the triangle, then the
> formula is:
>
>    squareRoot of: (a+b+c)(b+c-a)(c+a-b)(a+b-c)
> _______________________________________
>                              4
>
> So in trying to translate that to actionscript, I wrote:
>
>         public static function areaOfTriangle(a:Number, b:Number,
> c:Number):Number{
>                 return (Math.sqrt((a+b+c)*(b+c-a)*(c+a-b)*(a+b-c)))/4;
>         }
>
> But the problem is (a+b+c)*(b+c-a)*(c+a-b)*(a+b-c) results in a negative
> number, and this the square root cannot be taken.  Or perhaps I am
> interpreting the forumula incorrectly:
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TriangleArea.html
>
> What am I doing wrong here?  Thanks.
>
> Jason Merrill