Jason,

It must be true that your inputs are incorrect, BUT to answer your
question about distributive methods - I was just thinking about
condensing that formula.  If you did that(and they do it in the next
step on the MathWorld link) then you have to multiply every term in
parens by every other term in parens and you get all of that whacky
a^4, b^4 business.  As it is, you're supplying your function with the
values of a, b, and c, so you can add them in the parens and multiply
out the whole numbers.  False alarm there!

Cheers