Hey,

I reckon your best bet would be to break it down into a grid before trying to interpolate anything. I'm not sure how precise or efficient you need it to be, but maybe snap the rectangles to the grid? You could even work out what percent of each cell in the grid is filled by a particular rectangle and assign it's value accordingly. For example: if there's are rectangle with a value of 40 that covers have of a cell that cells value would be 20 (40*0.5).

If you need some info on interpolation in 2D I found this page useful:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm

I did this in Flash based off info in that page:

http://www.particlesystem.com/lab/perlin_colours/

Hope that helps,

Haydn.