ok, i work on a setup that sounds like it's what you're aiming for... i've
recently started working with MTASC and swfmill in order to get file sizes
down to a minimum and streamline the build process - what i do at the moment
is this (simplified)

1 - all code is compiled into a library using mtasc
2 - all assets are compiled into 'skin' swf using the flash ide

3 - for each skin swf i use swfmill to create a linkage between an empty
movieclip in the skin's library and a base class for the UI component i'll
want to use. This means that when the skin is compiled in the flash ide it
doesn't automatically drag in all the other classes that are referenced and
i don't have to create exclude.xml files.

4 - i have a 'core' class which loads all the necessary library and skin
files and instantiates things where necessary to get the app going.

This is probably a little bit over the top for what you're describing above
but for a large-scale application such as this it works very well and
prevents unnecessary duplicate importing of classes.

I went down the same path trying to get attachMovie to work using all sorts
of approaches and had no luck - this seems to me to be the cleanest approach
for what i need.