The issue at hand is that there is really a lack of information out
there to educate Flash developers on what the benefits and differences
are of using Flex.  You pretty much have to take the plunge and learn it
to educate yourself on why you should be using it in the first place.

This is, IMO, Adobe's burden, however, it should be noted that a lot of
Flex developers come not from Flash, but from arenas like Java, .NET,
VB, etc. and they needed no prodding as Flex fulfills a need many of
them have been looking for.

To say that Flex is only as good as the components it comes with is not
a fair statement.  You can, should and do write your own components with
Flex.  You don't have to only use the components Flex comes with if you
don't want to (much the same as Flash in this regard).

If you come from Flash, you will find the Design view woefully
inadequate compared to what you're used to with the timeline.  There's
no visual z-indexing or folders, etc.  However, without breaking any
NDAs, I'll casually mention that Adobe is working on making Flex Builder
more attractive to designers.  ;)

The best thing I've heard comparing Flex vs. Flash (and it's still not
really sufficient) is that there are applications that are much easier
to write in Flex than in Flash and vice-versa, and knowing which to use
and how to use them will help you choose the right implementation for
your client.  At the same time, pretty much every Flash developer I know
that took the plunge to Flex no longer does any Flash (if they can help
it) and swears by Flex.

So, in conclusion, you have to take the time to learn Flex to understand
Flex, but in doing so you may never come back to Flash.  I'm still in
the early stages of learning Flex, so I can't speak to why those who
emigrate never return.