On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:31 PM, JulianG wrote:

I saw this coming... Once Adobe take over Macromedia, things would start to happen.
Bad things, I mean.

Still searching to see what can be defined as "bad" in this thread.

How come Flash CS3 Installer is over 400 MB, when Flash 8 was only 110 MB?? While I'm writing this the application in being installed (less than 50% progress).
How is it possible that it's taking AGES to do finish!

Cause it's a large install and there are a lot of pieces. Hundred thousand or so lines of code just for the class support and thousands of documents for help alone.

If it were one large file it'd take only a few minutes to write. Rather, it's thousands upon thousands of files. That is what takes a long time to install - hard drives do not function efficiently with read/write on tons of tiny files. They are efficient on large files.

And if your drive is fragmented... oh boy, have fun with that.

It almost seems like I was installing... I don't know Photoshop, or some other buggy Adobe software. Oh! s**t I am!

I mean honestly, why do I keep reading things about Adobe products being so buggy. Photoshop and Adobe products are some of the least buggy software products around. Consider yourself lucky.

I'm scared! I hope they don't screw it with the Flash Player. That'd be quite harmful for us. I think. I don't see people updating Flash Player if it's 30MB or annoying in some other way.

That won't happen. There's a very explicit development process when adding features or adjusting the Flash Player. The team has very detailed requirements for coding and there are, I imagine, impact analyses for every addition to the Player.

Perhaps you guys had this discussion some time ago.
Do you have any URLs I can read about this, so I can find out if it is just me paranoid?

Paranoid. Who cares if the installer is big? Honestly. Get a bigger hard drive.

400 MB for an installer is a drop in the bucket. Even a couple gigs is a drop in the bucket with the size of drives today.

cheers,

jon