Let's say I have a MovieClip with a blank frame labelled "blank" and another
frame labelled "foo" with a movieclip instance on the stage called "bar".

In AS2 this works:
clip.gotoAndStop("blank");
clip.gotoAndStop("foo");
trace(clip.bar); // _level0.clip.bar

In AS3 it does not:
clip.gotoAndStop("blank");
clip.gotoAndStop("foo");
trace(clip.bar); // null

I tried using the DisplayContainer accessors instead, and got even more
alarming results:
clip.gotoAndStop("blank");
clip.gotoAndStop("foo");
trace(clip.numChildren); //1
trace(clip.getChildAt(0)); // null

So it SAYS it has a child, but it's reference is null.  I *know* I can get
is by listening for Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, but this makes my scripts much,
much, much more complex.  What's the deal, Adobe?

Max Kaufmann l Technical Artist
SilverTree Media
2105 Sarah St  |  Pittsburgh, PA 15203
O (412) 567-4606