Yes, that is the way to get around this, also make sure that you uncheck
'export in first frame' in your assets - when you uncheck that box, the
compiler will not export the asset at all, so you need to physically place it
on frame 2 or later, but before they are neeeded. Then the frame 1 'load' is
only the weight of the preloader itself.
hth,
jimbo