It sounds like you're looking for what is often referred to as a
"Lightbox" or "Greybox" effect, and there are  several good canned
ajax solutions out there. if you google Lightbox you'll find em.

However, since this is a Flash list I'm wondering if you're planning
for this effect to be occurring OVER a flash object, in which case you
should be aware that support for that effect will be inconsistent at
best, as Flash tends to push to the top in all but the most current
browsers. It might be less failure-prone these days, but just a word
of caution...

.m