Peter,

> when
> you build the swf, the one on the left has a big block of the masked
> object
> showing for no reason.

The glitch in the mask corresponds to certain stroke elements. In the case
of your example: the strokes that form a 'Y' (to put it delicately) and that
do not conform to the shape of the fill.

> This is sort of a bug in flash, but I can't have been the first person to
> notice it.  Does anyone have any idea how we caused it?  Is it just that
> flash can only support masks that are simple flat color fills?
>
> If it's the latter, I have a follow up question, can anyone think of a
> clever way to take the movieclips we are using and convert them into
> monotone fills of the same exact dimensions

First:
Create a separate set of movieclips with the strokes intact to use as the
overlays.

Then for the masks:
Change the stroke color to be the same as the fill, then do
Modify>Shape>Convert Lines to Fills

I don't really know, but there may be a way to do at least some of the above
with JSFL. That would be the clever part.

Regards,

-Keith
http://keithreinfeld.home.comcast.net