> I was curious if
> anyone had done something similar or any ideas on how to go about this?
> I'm having trouble deciding what technology to use (database xml or text
> files)
> to store the data in. a webdeveloper friend of mine says the message
> could be encoded in the url itself, if anyone out there has any prior
> experience
Yes, I've done this just as you said by encoding the message in the url.
You can try it here.

http://www.thebuzzwebsite.co.uk/getinvolved/ReadEmail.php

The php ends up being very simple as you don't have to store every message.
The downsides are:
- You need to encode the message within the url otherwise people can just read it in the url - You need to restrict the length of the message otherwise the url ends up being really long. This is not a problem for the browser but can be a problem if the url gets emailed.
- You don't have a record of what was sent in case of abuse

However, this one has been up and working for 6 months now and the client's happy so its not a bad way to go.

Cheers

Joe

Joe Cutting
Computer exhibits and installations