I don't think asking questions about a specific language(be it as3 or as2)
is actually the key
of finding a good programmer. In my opinion programming is not about knowing
an API but
about thinking of smart solutions which will solve problems in a simple and
elegant way.

The best questions are those which doesn't assume the person has any
knowledge of any language
at all, since programming isn't about a programming language per se. Maybe
find out which language
he has never worked with and then send him home with a small assignment in
that language, this
would be a neat test and will also show how fast someone can pick up new
things and ideas.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Sidney de Koning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> The list of questions i always ask interviewees are the following, and this
> gives me a pretty good example of what they are like and what their skillset
> is.
>
> Test is always accompanied with a practical test we make up on the spot.
> The XML in Q16 is made up, you can create your own for this.
>
> Feel free to use this,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sid
>
> 1  - write an event listener (normal and weak referenced) and handling
> function for a Sprite
>         named 'beginQuestions' and listen for a  mouse click.
> 2  - what does weak referenced mean in regards to event listeners?
> 3  - what is the difference between an object an an array?
> 4  - how doe you get cue point from vidio in AS3? And in AS2?
> 5  - briefly explain the various datatypes for numbers.
> 6  - how do you load an external file?
> 7  - draw a 20px by 20px Rectangle using the graphics API.
> 8  - which of the following cannot contain other display objects?
>         Sprite, Shape, MovieClip, DisplayObjectContainer.
> 9  - which properties can you use to change the size of DisplayObjects?
> 10 - ENTER_FRAME is independant of an SWF's frame rate? True or false?
> 11 - XP is a type of which programming methology?
> 12 - why would you use a Singleton?
> 13 - what is the Document Class?
> 14 - create a new TextField instance, then add text it, then add some more
> text.
> 15 - what is the difference between public, private and protected.
> 16 - look at the piece of XML (see other sheet). How do i:
>         - Get all of the page nodes as an XMLList.
>         - Get node in showcase where the attribute id=1.
> 17 - listen for when the 'enter key' is pressed and
>         trace out "all questions are now done" when the event happens.
>

> Sidney de Koning
> Flash / AIR Developer @ www.funky-monkey.nl
> Technical Writer @ www.insideria.com

M.A. van't Kruis